Saturday, October 17, 2009

Skippy


This is Skippy.
I love to see her standing there so proudly.
About 2 months after the arrival of our herd, Skippy was somehow injured.  We believe that she had an injury to her tibial nerve in both back legs.  She could barely stand and when she was standing she shook and quivered.   Both her back hock joints were overflexed.  It was terrible.  We had three different vets who came and looked at her and they all agreed that the prognosis was not good.  Skippy was a young cow.  I just couldn't bear the thought that we would have to put her down. So Todd and I dried her off and moved her to the dry cow lot.  For weeks on end, I would put her food and water directly in front of her so she could eat without having to walk.  I would stand guard over her so the other dry cows couldn't get her food.  Gradually, Skippy began to stand longer and although her two back hock joints remained overflexed, she seemed to be less stressed as she stood.  Eventually Skippy could walk over to the bunk and eat on her own.  Eight months after her injury, Skippy could stand normally and could even run and jump around.    Today, her back legs are perfectly normal and she is now bred.  It was worth the time it took me to hand feed her every morning and night.  I never gave up on her and I am so glad!  This is the kind of love and caring that dairy farmers have for their cows.  We treat them humanely and with tender loving care and sometimes in the end, it pays off. 

No comments:

Post a Comment