Monday, February 22, 2010

Farmers: Stay Safe!

Last Tuesday, my husband nearly lost his life in a farm accident.  He was grinding feed and heard a "noise".  So he pulled back the guard on the grinder and bent over to listen. He thought he was far enough away from the PTO shaft, but he was not.  It caught the pocket of his sweatshirt and slammed him down on top of the PTO.  My husband had on 5 shirts - a t-shirt, 2 long-sleeved shirts and 2 heavy Carhartt sweatshirts.  It ripped every one of his shirts off.  My husband is very strong and somehow, by the grace of God,
he pushed his hand against something on the grinder and held his head away from the moving wheels and parts until all of his shirts were ripped off and then he fell backwards.  At least that is what he thought. A few days later we looked at the machinery and there was no place he could have braced himself without his arm being ripped off. He actually was about to be torqued over the PTO and knew he could not get out of the situation and thought his life was over. Somehow he woke up on the ground, in the snow, with no shirts on and he was 30 feet away from the still spinning PTO and he had not been flipped over. He cut his throat when he was pulled down on the PTO and barely missed his jugular vein. 
This is a wake up call for everyone.  My son, who is a John Deere mechanic, came down to help milk the cows and do the chores while my husband recovered.  I told my son that I hate farm equipment, because it is so dangerous. His words to me were,"Yes, but it is usually operator error."  He is so right.                              So everyone......PLEASE be careful.  Leave the guards in place.  Stay away from the PTO shaft and for goodness sake, don't step over the PTO while it is running.
I am so thankful my husband is alive.  He is really a careful person.  But one mistake, one split second, can cost you your life.  Don't let this happen to you!

5 comments:

  1. Goodness, thank goodness your husband was not seriously injured and that you had family able to help. That must have been a frightening experience.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Goodness! I got sweats reading this post! So happy for you that he managed to get loose. I can only imagine how scary that must have been Rest up sir and thanks for farming...

    Eric

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank God he is OK! People just do not realize the dedication it takes to be a farmer! I get scared around that equipment. These men are often fearless on with so much to do in a hurry! Well...hug him and spank him for me! I am sure you already did! LOL...Thank you for sharing this! Your CA dairyfarmer friend Barbara Martin!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank goodness it was not anymore serious than it it was. Not everyone is as lucky as your husband was. I am a strong believer that we get second chances for a reason. To me I think your husband has a chance to help other farmers by conveying his first hand knowledge and encourage, no demand they not make the same mistake.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am glad for you that he was not injured more than he was. Scary thought and after reading your post I reminded my family about being careful around the equipment because we also have a dairy farm. I know we all think that it just will never happen to us. Best wishes to you!

    ReplyDelete