Wednesday, January 12, 2011

And the price of corn goes higher..............

It is with much dismay, that the price of corn
continues to rise...higher than it ever has.
As a dairy farmer, corn is a valuable and
"must-have" commodity. 
Following on the heels of the 2009 dairy
crisis, it is a huge blow.

It worries me.  We normally grow our
own corn, but due to flooding, we had
a $20,000 corn loss and need to buy a load of corn.
That will cost at least $6000.00 and it may not
be enough to last until the fall harvest. 

I don't know where that money is coming from.
It is one more expense that is a burden for us.

I also worry about the beef and hog farmers.  How
will they make it?  The American people do not
realize that farmers that are able to
stay in business will need to raise their prices
and the consumer will be paying
much more for all their food, not just beef or pork.
Chicken will cost more, cereal prices will rise
and anything that contains corn syrup (and
it's in everything) will cost more.



It is times like these, that I wish we didn't
build a dairy farm.  I wish we had kept our
jobs and grew the corn and soybeans that we
used to.  We could be reaping lots of money
like the ag farmers we jokingly refer to as
4 x 4 farmers - they work 4 months
out of the year and drive 4 wheel drive
vehicles.

And then I look at our sweet girls
and our tiny little heifers, and I feel bad about
what would happen to them if we gave up. 
It isn't something we are ready to do yet,  so
I walk around the house looking at what I
can sell to keep going......

No comments:

Post a Comment